Exploring options for your small group study this quarter? Check out this series from AmericanCatholic.org.
Breaking Open the U.S. Catholic Catechism for Adults
As “an appetizer and a companion” to the (then) newly-published, 637-page United States Catholic Catechism for Adults, AmericanCatholic.org released this series of articles — Catechism for US: Breaking Open the U.S. Catholic Catechism for Adults — from October 2006 to September 2007. The series “leads readers step-by-step through the new catechism and helps them learn Catholic teachings and apply those teachings to their lives.” If you ever wonder, “What does it mean to be an American Catholic in the 21st century?” Catechism for US is a great resource for “learn[ing] more about your faith—and how to live it” (SOURCE: CATECHISM for US: Breaking Open the U.S. Catholic Catechism for Adults, St. Anthony’s Messenger Press (October 2006 to September 2007)).
NOTE: To see the handout associated with the session, just click on the link. It is recommended that participants come to each session having read the handout. There are a total of 12 sessions. This series could span 3 months or a quarter for a group that meets weekly. If you’re interested in ordering a copy of the U.S. Catholic Catechism for Adults, click here. A study guide is also available here.
PART I. THE CREED: The Faith Professed (USCCA Chs. 1-13)
- God’s Call and Our Response (USCCA Chs. 1, 2)
- Faith in a Self-Revealing God (USCCA Chs. 3, 4, 5)
- Created and Redeemed in Love (USCCA Chs. 6, 7, 8, 13)
- The Church: People, Body, Temple (USCCA Chs. 9, 10, 11, 12)
PART II. THE SACRAMENTS: The Faith Celebrated (USCCA Chs. 14-22)
- Celebrating the Mystery (USCCA Chs. 14, 20, 22)
- Initiation Into the Body of Christ (USCCA Chs. 15, 16, 17)
- God’s Desire for Healing (Chs. 18, 19)
PART III. CHRISTIAN MORALITY: The Faith Lived (Chs. 23-34)
- Christ’s Love and God’s Law (USCCA Chs. 23-24)
- Loving God with Whole Mind and Heart (USCCA Chs. 25, 26, 27)
- Love and Respect in Family (USCCA (USCCA Chs. 21, 28, 30, 33)
- Love, Respect, and Justice For All (USCCA Chs. 29, 31, 32, 34)
PART IV. PRAYER: The Faith Prayed (USCCA Chs. 35-36)
- Responding to God’s Love in Prayer (USCCA Chs. 35-36)